Hot Cross Buns
My mother’s recipe, adapted from 1973 flour bag recipe.
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1⁄2 c. warm water
- 1⁄2 c. sugar
- 1⁄4 c. shortening
- 1 c. hot milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. currents or raisins
- 1⁄2 c. citron or candied lemon chunks
- 5 c. flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- In another bowl, dissolve sugar & shortening in hot milk.
- Let Cool, before adding dissolved yeast.
- Gradually add flour, beaten eggs, and the cinnamon, allspice, salt and fruit.
- Let dough rise.
- When ready, punch down the dough and knead dough until elastic, adding more flour as is necessary.
- Pinch off pieces of dough and shape into balls for buns. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Make a cross in each bun by cutting 2 slits about 1⁄2 inch deep with scissors or sharp knife.
- Let rise again for a short time.
- Brush tops of buns with melted butter.
- Bake at 375? F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When buns are cool, make a simple icing of confectioners sugar, water, and a few drops of (vanilla or almond) flavoring, drizzle across to outline cross.